Problem: Oil refinery carbon waste is currently disposed by burning and landfill. This results in several environmental issues such as greenhouse gas emissions, potential toxicity to the environment and shortage of landfill space. In addition, oil refineries have to pay huge amounts of money as tipping fee for the disposal of the carbon waste.
Unique Value Proposition:
- We are recycling the oil refinery carbon waste to high-value products (activated carbon and vanadium pentoxide) instead of burning and landfill.
- Conventional methods use high temperature (>800 oC) to produce activated carbon. Our proprietary process enables the activation at < 400 oC.
- Solid carbon could be converted to gaseous species at high temperature. This enables us to achieve a higher yield (>85%) as compared to conventional methods (<60%).
- Our activated carbon has doubled adsorption capacity for Arsenic and Selenium, which are two key heavy metal pollutants in industrial wastewater.
- Our vanadium pentoxide has high purity (99% and above) and is cost-effective.
- Received 2 letters of intent to purchase our activated carbon product. Based on the purchase amount, the potential could reach S$ 1.5M per year.
- Established a strategic partnership with SembCorp. We are working together on the optimization of 10 kg/batch small scale system, for which SembCorp is providing raw material, utilities and lab facilities. We are in close discussion on the potential collaboration & investment on the pilot project.
- Selected as one of the top 100 global startups by Slingshot 2020, which was organized by Enterprise Singapore.
Program themes:Circular Economy & Waste Reduction
Co-founder & CEO
Cadiam Mohan Babu
Co-founder & CTO